Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Therapy Dog

I had cancer about 2 years ago and finished treatments about 1 year ago.  While in the hospital after one of my surgeries a Great Dane came to see me.  He didn't do any special tricks.  He just laid his head on my stomach and offered comfort. I found out that he was a part of a therapy dog team.  Mean while my husband purchased a tiny baby Yorkie as a present for me.  She became my companion when it seemed life only entailed doctor visits and treatments.  When I had bad days she spent the whole day in bed with me offering a comfort that said I wasn't alone.

After treatments ended, I began to ask myself how can I use my journey of dealing with cancer to help other.  This sparked an idea and a memory of that sweet Great Dane's comforting visit.  I began researching and praying to God.  I asked him if this is what He wants me to do.  After many days of mediating and searching I found "Canine Companion" a training organization.  I talked with one of the trainers and the rest is history.

Lucy and I have now graduated after about a year of training and support from our trainers, Jan and Deb from "Canine Companion".  Lucy and I visit patients weekly at the chemo ward where I received treatment.  We also visit patients at two different nursing homes conducting a therapy group.

Lucy doesn't do any grand tricks but she does bring smiles, uplifts days, comforts, and distracts those having chemicals pumped into their veins.  Lucy is a true blessing to me from God and I hope as a team we are a blessing to others

No comments:

Post a Comment