Pages

Friday, December 26, 2014

Olive Makes 13



A friend of mine, Christine, suggested I write down this story about my chickens and let my readers enjoy.

The other evening I was in the chicken coop feeding and watering before bedtime.  My favorite chicken Olive is a beautiful Ameraucana.   I picked her up and put her on my shoulder as I did my chores.  I closed the chicken door to tuck the chickens in for the night.

 I began my night ritual of counting the chickens.  One, two, three....Twelve!  Twelve?  Oh no, one is missing!  

Memories of looking for chickens in the dark returned to my mind.  After 1 1/2 hours we found them in the rafters of the barn.  

I don't want to look for a chicken in the dark.  "Maybe I counted wrong."  I began counting again "one, two, three....12.  Again 12!" "Olive who is missing", I asked her as she rode on my worried shoulders.

They're moving around maybe I missed one.  I counted again, "One, two, three.....12!" and then Olive "PEEPED!"  "I held 13! 

No comments:

Post a Comment